The Equality Fund grantmaking cycle was open Friday, January 27th, 2023 - Monday, February 27, 2023, by 11:59 P.M.
Starting this year, the Equality Fund is embarking on a new strategic vision to better serve Boston’s LGBTQ+ community and contribute meaningfully to address the racial and ethnic inequities that exist within this community.
We plan to redouble our efforts to work in concert with all of the equity funds at the Boston Foundation – the Asian Community Fund, the Latino Equity Fund, the New Commonwealth Fund and Embrace Boston – at the intersection of race and ethnicity with LGBTQ+ identities. Similarly, our grantmaking approach, seen through intersectional lens, will be instrumental to operationalize this vision.
We’ll be more intentional in our work across the many diverse spaces that make up the LGBTQ+ community, so those members who identify as both LGBTQ+ and people of color, of any age and background, can be fully accepted and represented within multiple communities.
Applications were due on Monday, February 27, 2023, by 11:59 P.M. Please review the eligibility and application guidelines below.
- Grants will be made for general operating support, to organizations and/or projects serving the LGBTQ+ community in Greater Boston and the Boston’s Foundation “catchment area”
- Applications will be evaluated based on the organization’s mission, programs, and sustainability
- Grants will be awarded in June of 2023, and
- Organizations receiving funding will share their experience and impact of the grant via a phone call with TBF staff.
Grants will range from $7,000 to $15,000.
Funding will support:
- Organizations serving primarily LGBTQ+ populations
- LGBTQ+ serving programs or projects, fiscally sponsored by another organization, in which at least 60% of the program’s participants identify as LGBTQ+
- LGBTQ+ serving programs or projects, housed or operating within a larger organization, in which at least 60% of the program’s participants identify as LGBTQ+
- Programs and organizations serving LGBTQ+ communities, and whose composition of boards, staff, and volunteers are representative of the demographics and lived experiences of their constituencies.
Grants will fund organizations and programs that address the general needs of the LGBTQ+ community. Examples include, but not limited to:
- Artistic projects; advocacy and community building activities; capacity building (except capital construction costs and related); outreach and educational activities; health and legal services; cultural awareness and racial and social justice campaigns; and health and human services.
How to Apply
Visit our Grants Portal and verify your user account. This year we updated our grant management system, so we encourage you to activate your account well in advance of submitting your grant.
Once in the grant portal, follow the instructions to open the Funding Opportunities and select "Equality Fund FY23".
Fill out the application, and don’t forget to attach your Organizational Operating Budget (in any format you have it!).
- Please first try using the "Password Reset" link to access the system, as you may already be in our database. You should receive a password reset email after 10 minutes, with additional prompts and instructions.
- If you do not receive this email, click the "Register" button underneath the Login box and follow the prompts to create a new account.
- For detailed instructions on how to activate your account, please review this guide. If you have any difficulty logging in, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications were due on Monday, February 27, 2023, by 11:59 P.M.