The Staff Accountant provides financial and accounting support to the Foundation. Assists in ensuring accurate reporting and appropriate internal control procedures in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). Contributes to maintaining the integrity of the financial reporting system, completes internal and external financial reporting requirements, performs routine accounting department functions, and works closely with other accounting staff.
- Prepares monthly reconciliation and postings of activity for investment pools, including communicating and resolving issues with the investment managers and posting of information to the general ledger;
- Reconciles bank account statements to general ledger balances on a monthly basis and prepares journal entries to resolve reconciling amounts;
- Reconciles reports of other invested assets to general ledger on monthly basis and prepares journal entries to post activity;
- Prepares account reconciliations and journal entry preparation as part of quarterly budget review and general ledger close as well as annual audit;
- Tracks quarterly investment manager statements and reconciles amounts reported internally to the amounts reported on the quarterly statements received from the investment managers;
- Inventories AUP’s (agreed-upon procedures), letters received from investment managers, as well as, the nature and timing of the independent auditor report;
- Collects and tracks annual audited statements from investment managers, identifying the nature of the auditor’s opinion, unqualified or qualified, GAAP or non-GAAP, as well as, identify and reconcile any differences that may have been reported;
- Provides backup to other staff in Finance office including processing of daily cash receipts, processing of new gifts (including stock transactions), administrative expense (A/P), and grants payable;
- Enters adjustments to postings of journal entries and invoice payments to correct accounts charged and descriptions entered;
- Assists with the annual external audit, including assistance with preparation of work papers;
- Participates in Foundation-wide meetings, teams, and/or events as required; and
- Strives for operational excellence throughout the Finance function.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration, or equivalent experience;
- Minimum 3-5 years related work experience;
- Experience preparing bank account reconciliations required;
- Experience reconciling imprest accounts preferred;
- Experience preparing reconciliations of investment activity and posting investment returns preferred;
- Knowledge of standard accounting operating procedures and principles; and
- Experience performing cash receipt and disbursement processing.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, including Outlook, Word, and Excel;
- Attention to detail a must;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Working knowledge of GAAP accounting for not-for-profits preferred;
- Ability to work under the pressure of tight deadlines;
- Accountability for timely completion of responsibilities;
- Ability to make decisions about how to manage and organize own workload;
- Maintain highest standards of confidentiality and exhibit discretion;
- Participative work style; ability to give and receive productive feedback;
- Mature interpersonal style, including the ability to interact calmly with a diverse range of people; and
- Willingness to learn complexity of organization and participate in process discussions.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
- Ability to sit for long periods of time;
- Able to work remotely and on site; and
- Ability to use a computer keyboard for extended periods of time.
The content is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. It is not intended to constitute an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents, who are or become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act or applicable state law, must be able to perform the essential functions of the job (including those listed above) either with or without reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodation, if any, will be determined by management in consultation with the employee on a case-by-case basis.
This job description is intended to be general and may be revised from time to time. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.