The Program Associate serves as a member of The Philanthropic Initiative’s (TPI) professional staff, focusing primarily on supporting programmatic and strategic planning work for TPI clients and projects. They work collaboratively as a member of teams supporting specific TPI client engagements in designing, developing, managing and evaluating philanthropic programs and strategic plans; supporting client relationships; and researching philanthropic issues. The Program Associate assumes administrative responsibility for selected projects and programs, as well as contributes to broader marketing and strategic planning efforts.
- Provide administrative and research support for TPI project teams, occasionally working directly with clients on certain projects;
- Develop materials and briefing papers to support client needs including research on social issues, best practices, and model approaches;
- Conduct benchmarking research and community needs assessments;
- Identify and present funding opportunities, including ideas for programmatic initiatives;
- Administer and support programs and projects such as scholarship programs, college success programs, grants programs, and other initiatives that TPI designs and manages on behalf of clients;
- Conduct due diligence on grant proposals, review funding requests, track and monitor funded projects, and schedule and conduct site visits with or on behalf of clients;
- Coordinate logistics and communications around scholarship programs, support scholarship review processes, and organize workshops and other events for scholarship recipients;
- Provide support for strategic planning and facilitation, including designing and implementing surveys of key stakeholders and grant recipients; compiling materials for strategic planning projects; and assisting with preparation for planning sessions/retreats with clients; and
- Plan and coordinate events, including events connected with corporate volunteer programs, college success programs, and grantee convenings.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; and
- At least two years of relevant work experience.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
- Helpful to have interest/experience in education, college success, and/or other social issues of interest to TPI clients;
- Strong computer skills utilizing Microsoft Office products including Access, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel, as well as Internet research and database management;
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks, organize and manage projects with multiple components, and implement complex activities;
- Able to take initiative and be resourceful; problem-solver;
- Resourceful, motivated and able to work independently;
- Excellent organizational and planning skills;
- Very strong attention to detail;
- Strong research, writing, proofreading and basic editing skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to interact well with a diverse range of people and work as part of a team;
- Able to work under the pressure of tight deadlines; and
- Good sense of humor and willingness to be flexible.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
- Ability to sit for long periods of time;
- Ability to use a keyboard for extended periods of time; and
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds, occasionally.
The content is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. It is not intended to constitute an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents, who are or become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act or applicable state law, must be able to perform the essential functions of the job (including those listed above) either with or without reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodation, if any, will be determined by management in consultation with the employee on a case-by-case basis.
This job description is intended to be general and may be revised from time to time. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.