The Donor Services Assistant provides efficient and responsive customer service to the Boston Foundation’s donor community, as well as organizational and logistical support to the Donor Services & Relations team. This position also serves as the primary receptionist for the Development and Donor Services (DDS) department.
- Provides responsive customer service to the Boston Foundation’s donor community, inclusive of the following:
- Serving as the primary greeter for the DDS department, monitoring the general Donor Services email inbox and phone line, and addressing all incoming inquiries with a positive and helpful attitude;
- Coordinating with the Finance/Fund Administration department to resolve gift and grant issues for donors;
- Provides support to donors and staff on using the Boston Foundation’s online donor portal;
- Reviews all new Donor Advised Fund agreements to ensure the database has been updated accurately, and sends out welcome packets to new fund holders;
- Coordinates and facilitates annual proactive outreach to advisors of inactive funds;
- Maintains and updates donor and Donor Advised Fund records in the Boston Foundation databases;
- Serves as a point person on the creation and distribution of gift acknowledgment letters and tax receipts for charitable contributions to the Foundation;
- Additionally, this position:
- Provides recommendations to improve internal processes of the Donor Services team;
- Assists with report creation and generating needed reports for internal and external use;
- Provides support and research for meetings with donors, prospects and professional advisors;
- Liaises regularly with colleagues in the Fund Administration department on current gift and grant issues to ensure effective cross-departmental communication;
- Attends committee meetings when requested and takes notes as needed;
- Processes and submits expense reports and department invoices on a monthly basis;
- Assists with calendars, schedules and appointment management as needed;
- Coordinates the review and updating of marketing materials;
- Provides technical and administrative support for events including managing timelines and activities in coordination with the Events Team, tracking and coordination of guest lists, invitation mailings and follow up correspondence;
- Assists with occasional events in the mornings (prior to 9:00 a.m.) and evenings (after 5:00 p.m.); and
- Provides general administrative support to other department team members as requested.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
- High School degree or equivalent experience required; Associates or Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred; and
- At least 2 years work related experience, including customer service experience; and
- Non-profit experience preferred.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
- Excellent administrative, organizational and calendar management skills;
- Impeccable attention to detail and accuracy;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and customer service orientation;
- Participatory work style; team player and sense of humor; ability to give and receive constructive feedback;
- Ability to handle confidential matters in a discreet manner;
- Excellent proofreading and editing skills;
- A self-starter with a professional and mature interpersonal style, ability to interact well with a diverse range of people;
- Ability to adjust work activity to various management styles;
- Strong knowledge of Zoom;
- Strong knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office products - especially Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point;
- Excellent data management and reporting skills; database experience in Salesforce strongly preferred;
- A can-do and will-do attitude, i.e. no task is too high level nor too basic;
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet organizational deadlines;
- Willingness and ability to handle confidential information; and
- Commitment to contributing to an overall organizational culture of learning and wellbeing;
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
- Ability to work at workstation for long periods of time;
- Ability to use a keyboard for extended periods of time; and
- Ability to lift and carry up to 5 pounds, occasionally.
The content is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. It is not intended to constitute an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents, who are or become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act or applicable state law, must be able to perform the essential functions of the job (including those listed above) either with or without reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodation, if any, will be determined by management in consultation with the employee on a case-by-case basis.
This job description is intended to be general and may be revised from time to time. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.