In partnership with the Executive Director, King Boston and the Boston Foundation’s Development and Donor Services Team the Director of Development and Donor Engagement is responsible for designing and implementing a fundraising and donor engagement strategy in support of King Boston’s three primary efforts: (1) The Embrace, a living memorial on the Boston Common, (2) the Center for Economic Justice, and (3) Embrace Ideas, a public series to engage community members in anti-racist dialogue through the arts and humanities.
This is a role for a generalist development professional, experienced in both individual and institutional giving. They will build the development design, strategy and tactical functions and initiatives for King Boston. This position requires an entrepreneurial spirit, the ability to work in a small-shop setting, passion for economic and racial justice, and experienced and/or curiosity about implementing and developing democratic development practices.
- Develop and lead all fundraising strategy and activities for King Boston in partnership with the Executive Director, Advisory Board, and other team members;
- Successfully build and maintain relationships with a diverse portfolio of major individual donors, family foundations and institutional donors;
- Ability to tell powerful stories of impact and opportunity through a variety of media (written collateral, presentations, video, etc.);
- Create and lead donor cultivation and stewardship programs and events that deepen engagement and meaningful collaboration between King Boston and its supporters;
- Ensure that all facets of fundraising operations follow best practices and are managed in a timely manner;
- Work with other team members to develop and implement King Boston’s development strategies and operations;
- Ensure King Boston’s fundraising priorities are represented in the Foundation’s communications and website priorities;
- Maintain accurate and timely database records, contact reports, updates and follow up on visits, phone calls and strategies for donors and prospective donors in Salesforce; and
- Partner with TBF’s Finance Department team to ensure accurate accounting and recognition of revenue.
- Participate in various King Boston internal meetings, including program planning, resource utilization, and scheduling;
- Perform other duties as assigned related to King Boston's mission or to support coalition partners, funders, or other stakeholders; and
- Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience
- 7+ years of professional experience in nonprofit development and donor engagement, with a strong track record in fundraising and proven knowledge of fundraising best practices;
- Demonstrated ability to work at a senior level with strong capabilities in strategic thinking, planning, and organizational development; and
- Able and ready to accept responsibility and take charge of results.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies
- Able to develop a fundraising infrastructure and implement related activities, including an annual strategic fundraising plan;
- Demonstrated success in creating and managing relationships with multiple donor sources, especially with major gifts, having personally closed at least six-figure asks with individual donors;
- Demonstrated ability to deepen donor relationships over time;
- Experience with Salesforce, or similar database, and demonstrated ability to leverage data and information to advance development strategies and operations;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships;
- Experience with and/or curiosity about democratic fundraising that advances racial and economic justice;
- A self-starter, able to work both independently, without close oversight, and as a team player;
- Strong organizational and time management skills with strong attention to detail;
- The ability to work as a cross-functional team player;
- Proven ability to take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects at a time;
- A can-do and will-do attitude, i.e. no task is too high level nor too basic;
- Demonstrated ability to be an effective spokesperson who can mobilize and inspire others to action;
- Demonstrated ability and skill making data driven decisions;
- Willingness and ability to handle and maintain confidential information;
- Flexibility to attend evening and occasional weekend events;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communications and bridge-building skills.
- Passion for racial and economic justice;
- Capacity to integrate into all functional areas while autonomously leading one’s work, prioritizing tasks and meeting organizational deadlines;
- Comfortable working with evolving priorities and timelines;
- Ability to balance attention to process, results and relationships as a facilitative leader;
- Adept at building and nurturing diverse and democratic partnerships; and
- Proficient in Google applications (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Gmail) and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
- Ability to work at a computer station for long periods of time; and
- Remote position, must be able to work remotely.
The content is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by persons assigned to this job. It is not intended to constitute an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants and position incumbents, who are or become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act or applicable state law, must be able to perform the essential functions of the job (including those listed above) either with or without reasonable accommodation. If any, reasonable accommodation will be determined by management in consultation with the employee on a case-by-case basis.
This job description is intended to be general and may be revised from time to time. At management's discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.