Reporting to the Director of Development, Embrace Boston, and regularly partnering closely with Embrace Boston’s Executive Team and Development and External Affairs team, the Development Manager provides exceptional operational support towards our organizational goals, including $6M fundraising goal. The Development Manager should have a strong track record of forging new and sustaining existing donor relationships, demonstrated success with expanding financial resources, coupled with a passion for racial and economic justice. This position supports data management, driving donor research, including meeting briefs and reports, leads on event management, and other administrative tasks.
- Proactively explore opportunities to advance prospective donors’ interests in Embrace Boston based on the background of each prospect in support of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies;
- Provide essential functions to support fundraising work including completing high-quality donor research, drafting correspondence, mailings and written communications to donors, and tracking activities and gifts; and
- Manage Embrace Boston’s monthly giving program and annual fund with support of the Director of Development: develop and execute an annual plan each season, track progress toward goals, and measure ROI.
- Manage Embrace Boston’s Salesforce database, provide key administrative support to maintain donor records; ensure timely entry of activities; manage gift processing and reconciliation with development staff and finance;
- Support the team in advance, during and after in-person and Zoom meetings as appropriate including research, preparation of development materials and gifts, travel arrangements and expense reimbursements;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to implement and uphold data integrity protocols to ensure accurate reporting and inform departmental activities;
- Serve as a point person on the creation and distribution of gift acknowledgment letters, pledge reminders and tax receipts for charitable contributions; and
- Provide recommendations to improve internal processes of the Embrace Boston Development team.
- Provides project management support for Embrace Boston’s Signature Event Series including managing timelines and activities in coordination with the Events Team, tracking and coordination of guest lists and ticket sales, invitation mailings and follow up correspondence;
- Develop and lead select donor events including Embrace Honors awards and private film screenings aimed at growing our annual supporters; and
- Represent Embrace Boston externally, including participating in events and various initiatives.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
- 3-5 years related (or highly transferable) work experience or a Bachelor’s degree; and
- Administrative and customer service experience in the nonprofit sector preferred.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
- Project management skills;
- Excellent writing, proofreading and editing skills with meticulous attention to detail;
- Participatory work style; team player and sense of humor;
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback;
- Ability to handle confidential matters in a discreet manner;
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet organizational deadlines;
- A self-starter with a professional and mature interpersonal style and, in an entrepreneurial, roll-up-your-sleeves environment;
- Excellent data management and reporting skills; database experience in Salesforce strongly preferred;
- Technical proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Experience with Adobe Suite is preferred;
- Ability to learn new applications quickly;
- Communicate in a positive manner with a customer service orientation;
- Ability to follow a plan through to completion, proactively reporting on progress; and
- A can-do and will-do attitude, e.g. no task is too basic.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
- Ability to work at a workstation for long periods of time;
- Ability to use a keyboard for extended periods of time;
- Ability to lift and carry up to 10 pounds, occasionally;
- Ability to work remotely and on-site as required; and
- Willingness and ability to work outside the regularly scheduled workday as needed, including willingness to travel to attend meetings and networking events outside of normal work hours.
The content is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. It is not intended to constitute an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents, who are or become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act or applicable state law, must be able to perform the essential functions of the job (including those listed above) either with or without reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodation, if any, will be determined by management in consultation with the employee on a case-by-case basis.
This job description is intended to be general and may be revised from time to time. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.