The Development and Events Manager, reporting to the Director of Advancement and External Affairs at King Boston, will develop and manage the backbone of fundraising operations, with a focus on managing external events. This role manages a rapid flow of work, handling many daily tasks spanning multiple projects, with a need to toggle between big picture, long-term strategic priorities, and time sensitive details.
While this role will evolve in relationship to the organization’s development and external affairs, there will always be significant logistical, organizational, and administrative components to the role. The Development and Events Manager will help represent the organization as needed at external events and meetings. The incumbent in this position will work remotely.
- Participate in all aspects of development and external affairs work, including direct marketing, major gifts, grants, events, communications, and media strategy;
- Manage fundraising events and logistics;
- Provide administrative and strategic support to a rapid flow of projects and fundraising efforts;
- Help create and amplify the organization’s communications to relevant stakeholders and partners, particularly through crafting presentations, reports, and postings on social media;
- Manage processes and tools (i.e. Salesforce, Excel, etc.) for tracking and analyzing key data and information;
- Create, edit and format various types of documentation and complex correspondence, including letters, presentation decks, meeting minutes and agendas;
- Create and standardize processes and materials to ensure consistency;
- Provide administrative and project management support and leadership for internal and external meetings;
- Conduct research to support institutional and major donor engagement strategies;
- Assist with managing and generating contact lists for newsletters, appeals or other mailings;
- Assist with coordinating special signatures, special notes, and fundraising appeals.; and
- Support special projects.
- Participate in various King Boston internal meetings, including program planning, resource utilization, and scheduling;
- Perform other duties as assigned related to King Boston's mission or to support coalition partners, funders, or other stakeholders; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience
- At least 2-4 years of relevant experience or experience in a role with transferable skills.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies
- Exceptional project and event management skills, extremely well-organized and strong attention to detail;
- High degree of professionalism, customer service, and organizational skills with the ability to work independently and with a team;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; demonstrated experience communicating with a wide range of audiences and able to present key information in an engaging way in terms of both language and visual presentation;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build effective relationships;
- Experience in using Salesforce or a comparable CRM, Zoom, and mass email marketing systems;
- Ability to learn new computer platforms and applications as King Boston grows;
- Commitment to contributing to an overall organizational culture of learning and wellbeing;
- Capacity to integrate into all functional areas while autonomously leading one’s work;
- Ability to work with evolving priorities and timelines;
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet organizational deadlines;
- An entrepreneurial spirit eager to build;
- Ability to balance attention to process, results and relationships as a facilitative leader;
- A can-do and will-do attitude, i.e., no task is too high level nor too basic;
- Proficient in Google applications (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Gmail) and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); and
- Preference for a deep awareness, understanding, and connection to the Boston community, including connections to community-based organizations and leaders.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Ability to work at workstation for long periods of time;
- Ability to use a keyboard for extended periods of time; and
- Ability to work remotely.
The content is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by persons assigned to this job. It is not intended to constitute an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants and position incumbents, who are or become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act or applicable state law, must be able to perform the essential functions of the job (including those listed above) either with or without reasonable accommodation. If any, reasonable accommodation will be determined by management in consultation with the employee on a case-by-case basis.
This job description is intended to be general and may be revised from time to time. At management's discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.