Audience writing photo
How to
Apply
Interested in a applying for a grant?
Learn more about how to apply
The Giving Common
The Giving Common

The premier online resource connecting funders
and donors to in-depth information about nonprofits...

Explore the Giving Common
Vision 2020
Vision 2020

Making grants that are helping
Greater Boston residents thrive...

Read about our strategic direction for the next five years
Impact Commitment
A Commitment
to Impact
Supporting nonprofits that are helping to make
Greater Boston’s communities vibrant, safe and affordable…
Funding Opportunities
Information Session on the Boston Foundation's Discretionary Grant Making

On April 19 the Boston Foundation held an information session for nonprofit organizations to learn more about our discretionary grant making, from our primary investments in our impact areas and crosscutting strategies to our Open Door Grants program.  

Click here to view a video of the session and download the slide presentation.

Investing in Nonprofits

Vision 2020: Ways We Support Nonprofits

All of the Boston Foundation’s discretionary grant making relies on the resources of our endowment, the Permanent Fund for Boston, which has been built over the years through outright gifts and bequests from Boston area donors who care deeply about our community.  Discretionary grant making represents some 18 percent of the Foundation’s overall giving. The remaining 82 percent of the Foundation’s overall giving is directed by our donors.

 

  • Funding Opportunities

    Funding Opportunities
    Each year, the Boston Foundation distributes more than $16 million in grants and other support from the Permanent Fund for Boston, an endowed pool of funds contributed by donors who want to see the Greater Boston community thrive.  These discretionary grant-making dollars are largely awarded through a competitive process that is open to all nonprofits serving the Foundation’s catchment area and is stewarded by the Foundation’s Program Department Staff. All grants are approved by the Foundation’s Board of Directors.  Learn more...
  • How to Apply

    Competitive Grantmaking photo

    Before submitting an application, please take the time to read through all of our available Funding Opportunities to choose the funding opportunity that best applies to your work.  For your reference, you can also review our geographic area servedLearn more...

  • Grant Information Sessions

    Grant Information Session

    The Foundation invites interested applicants to learn more about our grant making and ask questions at upcoming Grant Information Sessions.    Learn more...

  • Conference Space

    Conference space photo
    The Foundation welcomes community organizations to use our available conference room space for meetings.  Nonprofit organizations, professional associations and affiliate organizations may request to use the Boston Foundation’s Conference Rooms.  Learn more...
back to top