The Equality Fund
Request for Ideas – The Equality Fund at the Boston Foundation
The Equality Fund at the Boston Foundation is pleased to release a Request for Ideas for its fifth annual grantmaking program. In 2017, the Equality Fund will distribute up to $100,000 in grants that enhance the abilities of entities to achieve measureable and sustainable results and support capacity building for organizations that:
- Currently serve LGBTQ people and their families;
- Seek to sustain or expand existing services to reach LGBTQ people and their families; and/or
- Seek to start new services to reach LGBTQ people and their families.
Please find the Request for Proposals (RFI) here . Submissions can be made through the online application portal and must be received by 11:59 p.m. on October 23, 2016 to be considered for advancement to a second and final round of consideration (paper applications also available upon request). Please be sure to review the RFI and all required information prior to submitting your idea. If you have a question that is not addressed in the RFI, please contact Tyler Dube, Philanthropic and Donor Partnerships Associate, at Tyler.Dube@tbf.org.
The Equality Fund
The Equality Fund at the Boston Foundation was established in 2012 with two primary goals: making high-impact grants today to the most innovative nonprofits serving the diverse members of the LGBTQ community; and building a permanent endowment that will benefit the LGBTQ community of Greater Boston forever. The Fund is guided by an Advisory Committee made up of members of the LGBTQ community and allies who possess a breadth of understanding about the most pressing issues affecting our community today.
This unique fund is already having an impact on the LGBTQ community of Greater Boston, with a focus on innovative programming aimed at pressing and emerging issues. To date, some 43 grants ranging in size from $3,500 to $15,000 have been made to 28 different LGBTQ organizations and organizations with a focus on LGBTQ programming. (Read a full listing of grants made to date.)
The Equality Fund is on track to meet its goal of raising $500,000 by 2017. Already, more than $330,000 has been raised from some 50 individual and corporate donors, including leadership gifts from BNY Mellon, Eastern Bank and Northern Trust. In addition, many donors are including the Equality Fund in their estate planning; over $6 million has been committed to the Fund through legacy gifts toward a goal of $10 million. To ensure the success of this important fund, the Foundation has pledged $250,000 as a 2:1 challenge grant—meaning that for every $100,000 raised in outright gifts, the Foundation will make a $50,000 grant to the endowment portion of the Fund.
Any individual, family, or organization can contribute to the Equality Fund in a variety of ways:
- Planned Gifts – The Boston Foundation offers a full range of planned and legacy giving options. Planned gifts may be made to the Equality Fund through bequests, retirement plan and life insurance gifts. In addition, the Boston Foundation offers charitable remainder trusts, and charitable lead trusts, all of which may benefit the Equality Fund.
- Outright Contributions – The Boston Foundation can accept all types of gifts into the fund including cash, publicly traded securities, restricted stock, real estate, and more.
- Donor Advised Funds – Donors with existing Donor Advised Funds can recommend a grant to the Equality Fund at the Boston Foundation.
- Succession Plans for Existing Giving Vehicles – Donors with a private foundation or Donor Advised Fund can name the Equality Fund as the successor entity to their giving vehicle.
Download the Equality Fund brochure and call 617-338-4775 for more information.
Contribute to the Equality Fund.